Q. What is the call number of a book?
The call number or classification number is the number you need to find a book on the shelf.
Books in Staffordshire University Libraries are organised via the Dewey Decimal System in number order from 000s up to 999.
- Books are organised on the shelves in call number order.
- When you search for a book on the catalogue, it gives you the call number.
- It is on the spine of the book, followed by the first 3 letters of the author's surname.
- Books with the same call number are about the same subject.
- Books with different titles or different editions can have the same call number so make sure you get the book you want.
See the Links & Files section below for more detailed resources on this topic.