Q. How do I write a Report or Dissertation?
A report or Dissertation (an extended Report or Final Year Project) have many similar features. However, the exact structure does change depending on your subject area and the type of work which you are reporting on (i.e. a research of a topic using secondary sources or primary / experimental work). In some cases you will be doing a combination of these. Please refer to your Blackboard module for the exact structure.
Once you are familiar with the required structure, the format will be the same. You use different features than when writing an essay, for example:-
- all the general rules of good academic writing apply, including the correct use of in text citations and a full reference list
- must include a table of contents
- headings and sub headings are required
- information can be displayed, where appropriate, using numbered or bulleted lists
- information can be added in a range of graphical formats (images, figures, graphs etc)
- additional information can be included in appendices
See the Links & Files section below for more detailed resources on this topic.
Need more help - please either fill in the , by phone or