Q. What is included in a word count?
Before starting your work, please refer to your module handbook or contact your tutor for guidance on word counts, as requirements may differ slightly.
Generally speaking, the word count will include the following:
- All titles or headings that form part of the actual text.
- All words that form the essay (the main body of text).
- All words forming the titles for figures, tables and boxes, are included but this does not include boxes or tables or figures themselves
- All in-text (that is bracketed) citations
- All directly quoted material
It will not include:
- All words that form the title page
- All words that form the reference list
- Captions added to visual material (i.e. diagrams, tables, maps, and/or images)
Need more help? Don't worry! The Library and Academic Skills team can support you with all aspects of your academic work. Search our subject guides for recommended resources and research tips. For further support book an appointment with your Academic Librarian and Skills Tutor.